On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 01:51, Denise Williams wrote:
> why is it best to not use HTML email?? I don't quite understand what happens
> when I click to have HTML on or off. TIA

There is nothing inherently bad about HTML email per se, but the problem
is that once you start with it, all manner of other things start to
happen.

Firstly, HTML allows you to link to external objects, which then allow a
spammer to track which emails were actually viewed and when.

Then, because you're encoding all kinds of other stuff inside a HTML
page, a simple message can take up five or more times the space an
equivalent text-only message takes.

Mail programmes sometimes use their own method of displaying HTML -
Eudora for example - which is not always the same as a web-browser would
display it.

HTML allows for JavaScript, so if a sender is allowed to send HTML
email, they need to also allow for JavaScript, which opens up a whole
can of worms in terms of malicious behaviour.

On a more esoteric path, if you allow active content in an email
message, you open yourself up to other active content which can then
facilitate email virus propagation.

The main reason stated for sending HTML email is "But I want to make my
email look pretty/corporate/formatted/designed." - Having just read the
preceding paragraphs, you can understand that this does not actually
succeed, because HTML is not meant - nor was it ever - to actually
accomplish this.

So, how do you then achieve the stated reasons?

Send an attachment.

Let me say that again.

If you want to send pretty email, send an attachment.

Of course if you want to be bandwidth friendly - given that recipients
pay for receiving email - more bytes = more dollars - you'd be an even
better email citizen if you sent attachments only if requested by the
recipient and sent URLs to the information in *all* other cases.

But then, some people don't have access to a web-server to put content
on, so people can actually get the attachment via the web. (Although 99%
of Internet accounts in Australia do in fact come with more or less
web-space.)

So, hope this helps,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 from S33:37'33" - E115:07'30" (Dunsborough, WA)
--
()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>? ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. --- ..Morse for Onno..