Yes - sort of .... there's a whole host of variations of most types of RAM and then when you have the right variety there's a whole range of quality.

PC resellers will generally stock what is politely referred to as OEM RAM. This is RAM that has failed the exacting tests in the fabricators factory but will probably/maybe still work in most/some applications. A PC reseller will generally also stock a premium brand such as Kingston which will cost 2-3 times the price.

The important thing is that you buy first grade RAM. Most resellers on this list won't stock anything else, because the cheapie brands break all too often and neither purchaser or reseller want this hassle. First grade RAM usually comes with a lfetime warranty and will be RAM from Hynix (Hyundai), Toshiba, etc.

G3 desktops use PC-100, G3 iMacs can use PC-133 or PC-100 (PC-133 is newer and cheaper) except the original tray-load iMac which requires a special RAM DIMM.

The only iMac to use SO-DIMM's are G4 iMacs and there are several varieties depending on the G4 iMac model.