Regarding:
<http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3596423832&category=11115>

>>Slightly off topic, but is it 'safe' to buy things from Ebay?  I just
noticed a dual 2gig >>G5 with 500 gig of 7200rpm drives, an apple 23
inch cinema display and all the
>>other bells and whistles going for $3800.
>
> Usually if it's too good to be true, it probably is!
>
> There are a number of e-bay con artists selling either stuff that
doesn't exist, or stuff
> that's stolen. My rule is usually don't spend more than you can afford
to lose.

Definitiely a scam of sorts.

Important points with this particular one:

"Note: This listing is restricted to pre-approved bidders or buyers only.
Email the seller to be placed on the pre-approved bidder/buyer list. "

(ie: Please sign up for our spam list and get hassled to buy all sorts of
junk :)

and the Feedback shows that bob6960_0 apparently hasn't ever sold anything
on Ebay (but has bought an odd assortment of Xbox and elctronics gear).
Identity fraud on eBay is a potential problem to watch out for. (ie:
sellers hijacking someone's account that has reasonable positive feedback)

I've used eBay a number of times with no problems whatsoever, but you do
need to be able to spot a scam, and do your homework.  I'd _always_
contact the seller prior to placing a bid, and prefer to "buy local", so I
can see the goods before parting with my hard-earned.

My 1.8c

--
Steve Woods           <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Systems Engineer           <http://www.scibi.com.au>