please note that the return and enter key are two different keys that do two different functions (though on may applications the effect is the same). I'll suggest that it is your physical keyboard as I have similar problem on my Apple Pro keyboard plugged in to my Powerbook - problem is only on the external usb keyboard - the built in (laptop) keyboard's fine as is using a different keyboard (the usb keyboard from my Wintel box).

Thank you James, for your excellent input.

I now remember that at one stage the space bar was affected which is almost in the same row. I will borrow another keyboard and see if the problem recurs. It also seems strange that the enter key is faulty, but never the return key.

The environment is clean and stable.

A new keyboard is looking more like the answer.

The next time it happens I will make more observations and post the eventual answer to the list.

Regards

Greg Manzie
Director

Glyde Gallery Conservation
Conservators, Consultants and Picture Framers
for Museums, Art Galleries and Collectors

5 Glyde Street
MOSMAN PARK
Western Australia 6012

Telephone (08) 9383 3929