Most people use their ISP's DNS as this provides shorter ping times and
frequent requests are cached for quicker responses.

However this doesn't mean you can't use another DNS server and I think you
can use any you can get an IP for whatever the ISP. DNS servers are set to
relay requests to and from anywhere so they should always be available to
the public as long as they're not behind a router for use on a private
network (some people set up their own DNS servers on their network to speed
up serving and allow for greater control).

You can even in your network settings allocate one of your ISP's DNS servers
as well as a second DNS server that can be somewhere else. This might not
fix the problem but at least would provide a fallback in case the problem is
in any way related to your ISP.

All the best
Greg Sharp
President/Webmaster