Shay said:
Sounds like your wireless router isn't forwarding AppleTalk packets.

Rod said:
Aaahh, that's because your wireless router does not support Appletalk/Appleshare. The IP stuff is fine, as it is an industry standard. Appletalk is a unique piece of Apple software, and sounds like it is unsupported by the wireless component of your router.

And
Well, I think that is the case :-) Might be as Shay said, the wireless part is not forwarding the Appletalk packets.

How do I find out what is what?

In the old days of the LinkSys router I could print via wireless from the Toshiba Laptop to the Typhoon connected to it via the Ethernet/LocalTalk bridge.

Then the bridge apparently gave out and we could not print (in fact it was probably because we bought the new router).

So we bought a second hand LaserJet MV4. I could still print via wireless from the iBook (I don't know if I printed from Classic at that stage) but I could no longer print from the PC. I was told this was because Windows XP could not use AppleTalk.

It was assumed that previously I was printing from the PC to the Typhoon via TCP-IP (Typhoon must have TCP-IP turned on by default). I tried to turn on TCP-IP on the LaserJet but I could not make it save the settings and I could not find the correct instruction manual (the printer manual does not include the optional features). At this time the LaserJet developed a fault, it thinks there is a paper jam. I did not think it worth fixing and decided to buy a new bridge and use the Typhoon again. But the guys at Computer Trade Centre said the bridge was working, it just would not talk to the router, hence the old hub inserted between the two.

I do not understand what is going on and we are about to buy a new Printer so I need help. I just want a system that works so I can get on and use it!

I would happily pay an expert to come and sort it out for me. Please recommend someone.

Diana