Thanks for this info Mart, and to Rob and Shay for their comments. That is
now making it difficult for me as I was just about to place an order with
Daniel for a Firewire external drive, admitedly a FW400. The question now
is: Do I want to back a moribund horse?

I'd have no qualms about buying Firewire gear today (well, other than I already have lots :). How many DV Camcorders can you find that use SATA?

I thoroughly love Apple and its product, but at times, as a small user of
its products, I cannot help but feel I am spending the hard-earned cabbages
on something which may not be there tomorrow.

Well, if you've still got the Firewire drive tomorrow, and you've still got your Firewire Mac tomorrow, Apple's SATA police aren't going to come and remove it from your existing system.

I think that Apple should think more than twice before trumpeting some new
technologies which they are not sure to back all the way. Boy, did they ever
flaunt the superiority of Firewire! Maybe they are right, but commercially a
real black hole....

They still flaunt the superiority of Firewire

<http://www.apple.com/firewire/>

(BTW, Firewire = 7.7 million Google hits, SATA = 3.6 million Google hits)

I guess that with the new iPods coming with only the USB cable, the writing
was already on the walls for FW? Yes?

Well, that would be because it's a waste of money for Apple to ship Firewire cables to the mainly PC iPod buyers when most PC's only have USB, not Firewire. Don't mistake a cost cutting measure for a change of direction.

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  Join Team Sungroper in the