Phillipe,
I didn't mean to sound too negative about the future of Firewire.  I would
have no qualms buying a new Firewire 400 drive tomorrow.  Like Shay I have
many that I use every day - I also have a Firewire 800 drive which I love
and use with relish.  In fact I wish my other drives were Firewire 800 as
well as it is significantly faster than Firewire 400 particularly when
multiple drives are daisy-chained together.  And even FW 400 is faster than
USB 2.0 in most real-life situations despite the apparent 80Kbps difference.

It is only the future versions of Firewire - 1600 and 3200 that sound in
doubt at this point.  The fact is, SATA II and standard external connectors
are not here yet to my knowledge and Macs obviously don't have them built-in
yet - in fact, Apple is still including FW 800 on their very latest PowerMac
G5s and PowerBooks.  A FW 800 drive and definitely a FW 400 drive bought
today will give you great mileage far ages yet.  Most Firewire drives have
USB 2.0 on them as well, so you'll have that added flexibility as well.

My advice is if you need external storage now, a Firewire 400 or 800 drive
is the thing to go for.

-Mart