On 22/05/2005 10:22 PM, "Lloyd White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am using Tiger 10.4.1 on an iMac.
>
> I did an erase and install of Tiger and in doing so lost Classic.
>
> I am trying to install Classic again and have my original iMac software OS 9
> Install and Restore on three CDs.
>
> I also have OS 9.2.1 install and and the OS9 Restore CD as well as OSX 10.2
> Install disks 1 and 2.
>
> I canĀ¹t get the computer to start up from any of these disks to install
> classic.  Holding down the C key does nothing and the start-up preference
> does not even show any of the disks.
>
> Can I just copy in the OS 9 System folder from the Restore CD into the OSX
> system folder or do I have to go through the install process? If so how do I
> get to it.  I a just going round in circles now.
>
> Lloyd

Hi Lloyd

You won't get the computer to start off the OS9 CD's as the iMac G4 you have
is OSX Bootable only, ie you can only start of OSX CD's. You can run
Classic, but you just can't boot off an OS9 CD.
To get Classic back you'll need to Restore it. To do this you should be able
to do one of the following:-
Have a look in your Hard Drive/Applications/Utilities. There should be
something called "Restore...." (Sorry can't remember it exactly). If you run
this is will bring up a little window, which asks if you want to restore
certain things. It says "Restore All" or you can untick this and just have
"Restore OS9 Classic" This is the option you want.
Or, if you don't have that little application in your Utility folder then
grab the CD's that came with the iMac. On that CD you're find "Install Mac
OSX" (normally on the left hand side of the CD window" and then on the right
is "Install Other Application and Classic" )or something similar to this,
and normally on the right hand side of the CD window). If you run it from
here, you should get the same choice of Restore all, or just untick it and
restore Mac OS9 Classic Only.
If you do that then you should end up with a Mac oS 9 System Folder on your
hard drive! :o)

Hope those instructions are as clear as mud. Trying to do it from memory is
always fun! :o)

Enjoy!

Kind Regards
Daniel