Well, having gone to Apple support, there seems to be lots of people having similar problems with crashes and freezes, with all sorts of possible solutions, all time consuming, but potentially very helpful. Like Ruben, I might have to wait a month or so to have time to actually fix the problem, but don't feel quite so bad knowing that its probably Tiger causing it, and there may be fixes, like repairing permissions on your home folder manually (doesn't happen when you fix permissions system wide apparently).