Reg Whitely wrote:
 Dear WAMUGgers

 About a week ago my G4 PowerBook 15" 1.67 10.4.8 developed a distressing
 habit. It won't run unless the power supply is connected. If I remover
 the power, it immediately shuts down and the date/time reverts to 1970.
 It may also require a 'forced' restart to get it going again. It has a
 new battery, replaced under warranty in December 2006 and
 MiniBatteryLogger (a nice app I read about recently to trouble-shoot
 wayward batteries), tells me it is close to perfect. I've tried
 resetting the Power Management Unit (PMU) as per Apple
 http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449 but that made no
 difference. Any ideas before I send it off to the Apple Doctor?

 Reg

Given that it's forgetting the date I'd say it's got a dud PRAM battery.

(Not sure if these instructions are right for the 1.67GHz model. I'd suggest finding the official Apple docs, disassembling modern PowerBooks is not for the faint-hearted).

<http://macs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=macs&cdn=compute&tm=43&f=00&su=p284.5.420.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=1&zu=http%3A//pbfixit.com/Guide/54.0.0.html>

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer  The love of liberty is the love