On 31/08/2007, at 8:20 PM, John Daniels wrote:

Thanks Bob
I bought the Maxtor 80GB today but cannot get my eMac to recognise it at all. The Installation Guide indicates that the connection is USB 2 whereas
the eMac I think has USB 1 ports. Would that prevent the installation?
John D

JOhn,

Usually you should be able to drive it on USB1 , BUT , it will be very slow !

And it would be better when plugged straight into the emac rather than the keyboard .

You cannot get the eMac to recognise it ...  but how have you tried ?

As I mentioned somewhere , it is highly likely that this is formatted for PC ,
so it would not just appear on your desktop !

Try running Disk Utility in OSX , or Drive setup if you are in OS9 .

If it can be seen , it will be found by one of those !
You may be able to " mount " it from there and then Reformat it to Mac HFS+ .

There is also the possibility that you may need some USB drivers for it
on your system  .. I am not sure about that !
Can you get the Maxtor hard drive model number ?

Let me know how you make out !

Bob