Hi John, my understanding is that PC formatted disks do just appear on the desktop, its always happened for me. USB 1 ports are going to be slow, but it should still mount OK.

So, the question would be: what operating system are you using?

Have you tried all of the different ports on your computer?

Does the external drive have its own power, if not, you will probably need to plug it into two USB ports, using two cables, in order to get it to mount. This is so it can get enough power.

cheers, Susan.