On 02/09/2007, at 6:54 PM, Neil Houghton wrote:

Hi Steven,

I'm going a bit on memory re OS9 but if you are going to transfer over
ethernet, first make sure you have file sharing on the OS9 machine turned on and the hard disk (or partition, if relevant) where the data resides set
as shared.

You may probably need some of those extensions you've turned off back on for it all to work. Generally (but not always) extension problems were due to
third party extensions - so go with just turning on the basic Apple
extension set.

OSX should see OS9 over ethernet -so make sure you connect from the OSX MacBook Pro to the OS9 Powerbook and not vice-versa. If the machine still won't show up when browsing the network try checking the actual ethernet address on the OS9 machine and put that in as the "connect to" address on
the OSX machine.

Re the ethernet connection :
Older Macs when connected together via ethernet needed a " crossover " cable !

Explanation : Your ethernet has a "go" pair , and a "receive" pair of wires . It follows that the " go" of one Mac must arrive at the "receive" of the other Mac .

Ordinary ethernet cables have the same connections at both ends , making them connect go to go and receive to receive . This obviously cannot work !
Hence the need for a crossover ethernet cable .

In later models of Macs , the ethernet circuitry senses the incoming signal
and will switch internally to complete a working connection.

So it depends on the Macs you are dealing with whether you must have a crossover cable .

HTH's

BOB

HTH

Cheers