Thanks to all of those suggestions from everyone.

I've tried all of them, and made some progress, but frustratingly not to the
point of being able to copy data.

The furthest I've got is being able to see the G3 when I go to my Network
icon on my Intel MacBook Pro. But when I try to Connect, firstly a window
pops up with...

---------------------
AFP Connection Status

Looking up <name of computer>
---------------------

...the beach ball spins for a while, and then...

---------------------
Connection failed.

The server may not exist or it is not operational at this time. Check the
server name or IP address and try again.
---------------------

Tried accessing the G3 from an iBook G4. Same problem.

I eventually managed to start up the G3 in OSX mode (it has 10.2.8
installed), but whether I start up in OS9 or OSX, same story. I've turned on
Personal File Sharing, AppleTalk, Built-in Ethernet - none of it brings any
luck.

I even followed the suggestion of the ethernet cable having to be crossover
- I'm no expert on this but I think I found a crossover cable (ie. colours
at each end weren't in same order) but still no luck.

Happy try any other tips, but seeming like I might have to drop it in to an
Apple Store! :-(

Bob, to answer your query, in OSX mode the 'About This Computer' window
shows Memory 160MB, Processor 233 MHz, PowerPC G3. More info reveals
PowerBook G3 series (version = 2.2).

Regards, Steven