G9's a nice camera - own one myself along with 2 DSLR's but I'd say for generalist the S5 is probably the more versatile camera.

Personally I prefer AA batteries for compacts, you can usually get 400+ shots out of good rechargeable and use alkaline batteries in a pinch (leave a set in the camera's bag if the rechargeable ones run out or have self discharged).

Am thinking I might get one my self and hack the OS to get RAW format out of it.