Well,

Maybe every ISP in Australia is ripping us off, but I'm not sure that
a tit-for-tat comparison with other countries is particularly fair on
ISPs. I am led to believe that our small market size and population
sparcity make the situation challenging for Australian ISPs when you
factor in the cost of our infrastructure, equipment and staff (Japan:
population 125 miillion+, 339 people per square kilometre, Australia:
population 20 million people, 2.6 people per square kilometre). Even
if you give yourself a 1 GB/s personal connection in Australia, you
will be limited by our geographic distance latency! On top of this, a
lot of our internet usage is basically with offshore locations -- US,
Europe, etc., and Australia has always been doubly disadvantaged by
the international terms of trade, meaning that our ISPs have been at
an ongoing disadvantage. But yes, Australian internet access is very
slow and very costly compared to our peers.

James.