On 30Sep2008, at 10:40 am, Matthew Healey wrote:

On 30/09/2008, at 9:57 AM, James Green wrote:

We might be highly urbanised, but you still have to look at the numbers, 20 million people vs. 125 million people in Japan. The cost per head of population of installing infrastructure is a lot higher. And you then need every one of those people to pay to use the infrastructure, or have it heavily subsidised, or both

Like a mentioned before, this would be a relevant point it we didn't have any infrastructure to start with but every house already has at least three services running to them (5 if you count Cable and Gas). It seems to be economical for all of these other companies to run unique services to every house.

Why can't someone run Fibre?

As answered before: TELSTRA, and the (tele)communication act. Contact local MP for a clarification, or communication ombudsman for your state.

To be quite frank we did not sell it off, but buried it further in political depravity thanks to Howard government; another one of those so-called great legacies that he has left our great nation.

Who can blame TELSTRA for trying to hang onto an income source, as it has been proved time again they can not be competitive.

Mute point to ponder: I have Optus optical fibre passing through the front of my property 10 feet form junction box, and in connection pit at front of house. It is possible to connect through this cable to an exchange and back to my house, but I am not allowed to connect to this as my source of communications above act prohibits this except down copper line controlled by TESTRA.

Cheers!
`Rob...

- Matt