On 30/09/2008, at 9:05 AM, Rob Davies wrote:

Hi All,
Answer......
TELSTRA, and Communication Act.

As Reasoning , research NAKED DSL when technology available,

Since the Naked DSL subject has come up , here are two things for you to ponder on :-

1. With Naked DSL when the Power goes out the phone will stop working . How do you report the Power Fault ? ( Not everybody chooses to have a mobile phone ) .

2. A normal phone draws current through the physical cable pair . In doing that it keeps the wire joints " electrically wetted " so they keep conducting voice currents .

The Data signal does not do the same " electrical wetting " and as a result any poor joint can deteriorate so that you could end up with a weak or no ADSL data signal.
        As a consequence there would also be no phone !

        It is a POTENTIAL PROBLEM !

The joys of technology !

Bob

and the actual take up date by ISP's in Australia? Has this reduced the cost ? But, whom still controls communication from exchange to socket?

It does not take a rocket scientist to contemplate timeframe of next stage; be it optical fibre or other technology within the alliances of Canberra.

Policy and political eradication before one considers the actual cost and stately infrastructure modernisation needed for uptake by consumer.

Cheers!
`Rob....