Ken that used to be the case for the original iPhone back when they cost $400-$600. You were supposed to sign up and activate your AT&T account at home so it was easy to skip that step and jailbreak the phone.

However, with the launch of the iPhone 3G Apple in the USA now requires you to sign up with AT&T in the shop before they give you the phone.

They have to do that now as the reason it is so cheap is because AT&T is subsidizing the purchase price to the tune of about $300. Can't let people buy it without AT&T recouping their investment thru monthly contract fees and call costs.

On the subject of deals back here in Oz, my wife is very happy with her $61 per month 500mb data 8gb iPhone 3G thru Optus. Optus also allows outright no-contract purchases of iPhones for about $7-800 if I recall correctly.

My own 16GB corporate iPhone was bought outright for about $800 and work pays $30 per month for 3GB of data. My voice charges are only about $10 per month.

-Mart

Sent from my iPhone