On 25/3/09 10:57 AM, "ianre...@westnet.com.au" <ianre...@westnet.com.au>
wrote:

> I can't use Mail but fortunately have just discovered that I can use Westnet
> directly.So here goes.
>
> My problem is that the Mail window has somehow been minimised without its icon
> appearing on the RH end of the Dock. Clicking Mail in Applications or in the
> Dock brings only the Menu Bar to the Desktop. Quit Mail does nothing. Shutting
> down the computer (2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo running 10.5.6) is only possible by
> Force Quit of Mail. When it is restarted, Mail is still open but only the Menu
> Bar is available as before.
>
> While vainly searching for the cause and a solution, I discovered that the
> computer, in its wisdom, had cancelled the accounts with Westnet and
> ³re-listed² only one of them with an ISP cancelled a year or so ago! This has
> been fixed but Westnet support couldn¹t help with the Mail problem. They
> suggested that maybe the computer needs servicing.
>
> I have recently run Cocktail so the housekeeping should be OK. The Mac is
> about 15 months old. What do you think?
>

> Ian Reid

Hi Ian

Have you recently upgraded to Leopard (10.5.x).
The reason I ask, is what you've described is fairly similar to a lot of
instances I've had call out's for for a few clients. Very similar to what
you've subscribed.

This was the fix I used for this. See how it goes.

1. Go to Macintosh HD/Users/yourname/Library. Move the "Mail" folder to your
desktop.
2. Launch Mail.
3. Mail will ask if you want to import your message. Don't Click continue
yet!!
folder there. Rename that Mail2.
5. Drag your old "Mail" folder from the Desktop back to this original
location ( Macintosh HD/Users/yourname/Library)
6. Go to back to Mail and now Click Continue. Everything should be there
like normal.
You should now be able to open and use Mail like you used to. You can also
then go back and move Mail2 (the one we didn't use from above) to the trash.

That should hopefully fix it for you.

Kind Regards
Daniel

---