Further to the ShortName it does not work in Leopard, see link
http://www.macworld.com/article/132693/2008/03/changeshortusername.html
"Changing the short username in Leopard
by Dan Frakes, Macworld.com
One of the most-frequently-asked questions about Mac OS X is “How do I change my short username?” While it's easy to change your full username —an easily-accessible setting in Accounts preferences—the short username, which is also the name of your home folder in the Finder, seems set in stone (or in silicon, if you will).”

That may be what your are after.

Cheers,
Peder