Toast does indeed allow you to set the quality settings to cram more on a DVD. A few days back I burnt 4 hrs of standard def video onto a dual layer DVD +R without problems using Toast Titanium 7.13.

Here's a bit more info from the Roxio forums:

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=53086

"Toast will fit somewhere near 3-1/2 hours of video on a single-layer disc. You can manually set your average and maximum bit rates and set the audio bit rate to its lowest setting to get maximum content. You also can choose Save as Disc Image to have Toast make a DL-sized disc image file and then use the Fit-to-DVD option in the Copy window to further compress the video to single-layer disc (that's the approach I recommend).

Toast can only encode at full resolution. However, if you use another MPEG encoder to make the MPEG 2 (or MPEG 1) videos at a lesser resolution that still meets the video DVD specs Toast will use those to put up to about six hours (or maybe more) of video on one disc."

-Mart