Hi Alex --

-- Yes, most recordings with EyeTV over about 90 minutes are too large
to fit on a DVD. Look at the list of Recordings, if more than 4.3 GB
they won't fit -- if you open Toast to DVD-Video and drag the
recording over to the page, the green quarter-circle above left of the
big red button changes from green to red when it can't fit everything
on.

-- It's actually the size of the recording rather than its length
which matters. Black-and-white films, animations with big colour
blocks, and some formats fit more time into a given size, and HDTV
recordings take a lot more space.

-- With bigger recordings, or sets of recordings (eg to combine a
4-part series), it's necessary to use a 2-stage process. After cutting
out any unwanted material with the EyeTV editor (click the button on
the top right of the EyeTV screen), Export the files (by default they
go to folder 'Documents' and end up as .mov files). This is quite slow
(an hour or so, depending on your processor speed etc), so I usually
do this as background to other tasks -- you can put several files into
the Export queue. Export usually compresses files a bit. If exporting
a HDTV file, first open Options and alter the output size to a normal
size, eg 720 x 404. Export estimates the size of the .mov file, but
it's only a rough estimate.

-- When you want to burn one or more of the .mov files onto DVD, open
Toast and drag files in the order you want over to the Toast window.
In Toast's default setting, it will try to fit as many files as it can
onto the DVD (often with some definition loss). Usually you can fit 4
hours or more onto the DVD. As with the direct burn, Toast will tell
you with the colour change when you cannot fit any more on (click on
one of the files, then click on Remove at the bottom, till you have a
fit). Toast tells you how long the total of files will run.

-- Each file will have its own clickable image on the final DVD. To
alter title or other details on the individual images, click on Edit
to the right of the list entry in Toast and modify as wanted. Most
people will also want to set the title of the whole DVD -- click on
the default of 'My DVD' at the top and replace with your choice.

-- To actually burn the DVD, click on the bottom-right burn button,
and Toast will say 'Tray Open' or similar. Insert a blank DVD, and
when this is recognized, click Record. The burn process with
conversion from .mov can take a long time, I make it the last task of
the day.

-- After burning a disc, click Mount, and when the file images come
up, click to check the burn worked OK (Quicktime opens as default).
Files converted from .mov files in Documents almost always work OK.
Files burnt directly from Recordings in EyeTV sometimes have minor
errors which stops the DVD from playing properly on a general DVD
player. In this case, Exporting and burning from the Documents folder
will usually fix the problem, though the first disc has to be thrown
away. I usually don't delete a program from Recordings until I have
checked that the final DVD works.

Direct-burn from Recordings is fairly quick (maybe 10 minutes). You
can mix files from Documents and Recordings onto the same DVD.
Sometimes an end or start bit from one program is recorded under the
name of the preceding or following program. Select the orphan part in
the EyeTV editor and put it in Documents with the Export Clip command.
When burning the DVD, this orphan part will have its own image, you
can place it after or before the image of the file it belongs to.  I
haven't found an easy way to put back orphan parts so they
automatically play with the main file.

Hope this helps --

David Noel
2009 Nov 10