Sent from my iPhone

On 19/11/2009, at 10:14 AM, Rob Phillips <r.phill...@murdoch.edu.au> wrote:

Peter Hinchliffe wrote:

On 19/11/2009, at 8:50 AM, Martin Sulkowski wrote:

Excel doesn't support tables at all, and the "page" concept in Excel is very basic. This is one of Numbers' main strengths.

But a table is just a contiguous, two-dimensional collection of cells, and you can have multiples of these on the same worksheet, or on separate worksheets, and these can all be linked together. Feel free to send me a copy of your file, and I'll play with it if you like.

A table in Numbers is a separate entity from the Sheet which contains it. A Sheet can contain many separate Tables, each with their own formatting, cell matrix, sort orders, header cells, etc, and each doing separate jobs yet capable of referring to each other. There really is no comparable functionality in Excel. For example, a Numbers table always has cell A1 in the top LH corner. An Excel “table” has to use a part of the same worksheet as the other “tables”, so cell A1 is always at the top of the worksheet.

A simple example, but it does illustrate a fundamental difference between Excel and Numbers.