I am sure you are having great fun with that new toy, Neil - a great Christmas present!
Severin

On 09/12/2009, at 11:05 AM, Neil Houghton wrote:

Hi Rod,

I note the Apple store is currently showing 27” iMac delivery as:

Estimated Ship: 5-7 business days for the 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo standard model, and Estimated Ship: 7-10 business days for the 2.66GHz Intel Core i5 standard model

For what its worth, I succumbed to the urge when Apple had their recent TGI Friday annual special. I didn’t go for a 2TB drive but I did go for the i7 processor (so another build to order). My experience was:

• Order placed with Apple online store on 27/11/09 – at the time of finalising the order it was showing:
    Ships:      7-10 business days
Delivers: within 2-5 business days (after shipment) by Standard Shipping ie they were suggesting a final delivery date of 9–15 business days after order

• The Apple Store Order Acknowledgment email then advised:
    Ships:      11/12/2009
    Delivers:   17/12/2009
ie they were predicting shipping at 10 business days and delivery 4 business days after shipping.

• The Apple Store Shipment Notification email then advised:
    Shipment Date:  01/12/2009
    Delivers By:        08/12/2009
Ie actual shipment date (Tuesday) was only 2 business days after order (Friday) and they were predicting delivery 5 business days after shipping.

The iMac was actually delivered around 9am yesterday morning (Tuesday 08/12/2009) as promised. The TNT tracking suggests that delivery could have been earlier but there was some delay in Sydney:

08 Dec 2009 10:30:00 Albany Shipment Delivered In Good Condition.
08 Dec 2009     06:58:30     Perth     Out For Delivery.
07 Dec 2009     12:16:34     Perth     Onforwarded For Delivery
06 Dec 2009     10:00:11     Sydney     Shipment In Transit.
04 Dec 2009 18:00:00 Sydney Delay. Recovery Action Underway 02 Dec 2009 09:15:47 Pudong International Airport Shipment In Transit. 02 Dec 2009 01:55:36 Pudong International Airport Shipment Received At Transit Point.
01 Dec 2009     23:02:00     Shanghai     Shipment In Transit.
01 Dec 2009     22:39:49     Shanghai     Shipment In Transit.

Of course, just because this was my experience doesn’t guarantee similar for you but, so far, my experience with Apples delivery has been terrific:

Previous 24” iMac ordered in the 2007 TGI Friday annual special:
• Order placed with Apple online store on 29/11/07 (at 11pm Thursday - it was Friday 30th in Sydney) – at the time of finalising the order it was showing:
    Ships By:        29/11/2007 - 30/11/2007
    Delivers By:    30/11/2007 - 04/12/2007
Actual Delivery: morning of Tuesday 04/12/2007 – 2 business days after ordering!! (Obviously this was in stock in Sydney rather than shipping from China!)

Other items ordered in this years TGI Friday annual special:

Photoshop elements, Bento, Mobile Me Family Pack – all three items separately shipped but with same delivery/timescale:
Apple Store Order Acknowledgment email advice:
   Ordered:        27/11/2009
    Ships:           within 24 hours
    Delivers:       30/11/2009 - 02/12/2009
Actual Delivery:
   Shipment Date:  30/11/2009
    Delivery Date:     02/12/2009

HP PHOTOSMART B109A
Apple Store Order Acknowledgment email advice:
   Ordered:      27/11/2009
   Ships:          18/12/2009
    Delivers:       22/12/2009
Actual Delivery:
   Shipment Date:  04/12/2009
    Delivery Date:     08/12/2009

So, for me, Apple have made a habit of under-promising and over- delivering when it comes to efficient shipping.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Cheers

Neil
--