From: "Martin Hill" <marth...@iinet.net.au>
Sent: Friday, 29 January, 2010 10:48:41 AM GMT +08:00 Beijing / Chongqing /
Hong Kong / Urumqi
Subject: Re: iPad

I don't think most people are talking about the iPad replacing
receipts, financial records and all of that sort of paper in an office
(although with credit card readers on iPhones and iPod touches now
available and the low price and ease of use of the iPod touch and iPad
and the growing use of electronic and online transactions perhaps we
will finally see the dawn of the true paperless office in many
businesses).

However, it is newspapers, magazines, text books and other books etc
that I think are most threatened.

You only need to look at how rapidly MP3s have been killing CDs and
how the iTunes Store (and p2p) has killed traditional music shops to
see that there are actually plenty of examples where new tech has
indeed caused a very rapid decline of the old.

The print and publishing industries are already starting to bear the
label of "beleaguered" as one newspaper after another closes up shop
or sacks all their creative talent due to their massive losses of
subscriptions and sales.  Online ad-supported web versions have not
been able to pick up the slack and web users have been very resistant
to paying for such content when so much else is free.

The phenomenal successes of the iTunes Music store and the App Store
have given publishers a new hope that they will be able to monetise
their content either thru dedicated iPhone/iPad apps or thru the new
iBook store.

Sure there will be many users who cling to dead trees as change can be
an effort, but the writing is on the wall (uh,,,tablet).

I still remember people shaking their heads at me carrying my laptop
around to play mp3 files way before the iPod came on the scene and
made it cool and easy for joe public to recognise the advantages of
having their whole music library in their pocket.

Well, I have a great sense of déjå vu now having been reading
magazines, ebooks, newspapers and myriad other websites on laptops,
PDAs, older smartphones and now the iPhone for so many years.  Finally
the iPod of eBook readers has arrived and may indeed just herald an
iPod-like explosion in eBook use by the average consumer.

Oh and Avatar?  Well for the true 3D experience we'll just have to
wait for our 50" 3D-enabled "Minority Report"  iPads to be installed
on the walls of our living rooms won't we?   ;-)

-Mart

Martin Hill
mailto:mart_h...@mac.com
homepages: http://web.mac.com/mart_hill