Hi Daniel,

Could be a font issue.
Have you tried starting Adobe Photoshop CS4 with only System Fonts enabled?
A corrupted font can cause crashes in Adobe Photoshop.

Download Linotype Font Explorer. You can deactivate everything apart from
system fonts and clean application font caches.
<http://www.fontexplorerx.com/pro/>

They give a Free 30 day trial.