Hi again Neil,

> Within Entourage, I double click the attachment and it opens in Preview -
> with a blank window - however (and this is common to all instances of the
> problem) if I show the sidebar, a correct thumbnail of the poster can be
> seen in the sidebar.

I just read you bit about double/click the attachment in Entourage. I
remembered reading something about this problem of attachments in Entourage.
So, I've searched my documents and found this FYI.

Seems that attachments in Entourage could be getting caught by File Quarantine,
which won't open files that haven't been approved by the user which clears the
quarantine bit for that file. Read this for an explanation as to what it is:
<http://www.macworld.com/article/142457/2009/08/snowleopard_malware.html>
----
More searching of my documents folder and I find "The Fix of JPG files not
showing in Preview App".
Preview of JPG files do not preview:
Here is the fix that took care of JPG files in the Preview Application.

1. Remove the preference plist files regarding Preview:
com.apple.Preview.bookmarks.plist
com.apple.Preview.LSSharedFileList.plist
com.apple.Preview.plist

2. Download Snow Leopard 10.6.2 combo update (MacOSXUpdCombo10.6.2.dmg) from
Apple Support and install the update. <http://support.apple.com/kb/DL959>

3. The computer will restart with the 10.6.2 update installed and Preview
works!

17" MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo
2.4 GHz / 4GB / 800MHz / 500GB
OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard