Thanks for that Daniel.
Might try a few more "guesses" then before I give up!

And on another note, got a phone call from Macs4U this morning to say the ethernet port is not repairable, so will have to go fetch the emac back - hopefully tomorrow, need info on it ... (would have today but atm I'm physically knackered! Not supposed to lift heavy stuff.)
Don't know what it's going to cost for that info!
A USB to ethernet cable is $8.00 but they're not sure if it will work.

Can reinstall, have system disk, can't remember how I got Classic on the emac - does it come automatically with OS10.3? Classic is vital or I won't be able to use my legit/registered 5.02 version of Photoshop!!

Cheers .. BarbZ