Hi Daniel,

Thanks again for the speedy response:

on 27/5/10 10:10 PM, Daniel Kerr at wa...@macwizardry.com.au wrote:

> Hi Neil
>
> Not sure if this is actually any more help, or more "hard work".
> Found this link about it as well.
> <http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=83832>

YES, this exactly addresses my specific problem/interest and (assuming the
second poster is correct) explains how Apple does it.

> But without modify code, not sure of an easy way to do it.

No, the <dict>...</dict> entry in the .plist would presumably only work for
folders defined as CoreTypes - as the poster says:

>> but I don't think you can make this kind of icon for just any old folder.

> One thing to "Explore" might be to try downloading icongrapher
> <http://www.mscape.com/>

I might try that - I was a bit nervous when I read:

>> (Iconographer was last updated in mid-2003)

But I guess it should be fairly safe to just edit a .icns file bundle !?

> Make all the icons the "normal" image you want, but the smaller one (for the
> side bar) the alternative.
> Then it will show as "normal" in the Finder, but (perhaps) when it's in the
> sidebar it will show the alternative. Didn't have time to test it, but was
> just a thought.

Yes, as per my last post, I figured that this should be a work-around and ,
as you say, it will show as "normal" in the Finder - unless you set the
finder icon size to 16x16 ;o)

> Gotta get back to quotes and invoicing for now anyway,...lol.
> But thought it might give you something to play with for now.
>
> Kind Regards
> Daniel

OK, thanks for the ideas & links Daniel.

Cheers

Neil
--
Neil R. Houghton