Hi Pat,

I thought I had explained it fairly fully in my two previous posts - I am
not just trying to add a custom icon to a folder (which I could do any
number of ways (including CocothumbX) - I also have no problems in actually
adding the folders to the sidebar.

My problem is trying to get a different icon to show in the sidebar than
shows in the finder window (as per the Apple folders
music/downloads/pictures etc).

The link Daniel provided in his second post:

<http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?t=83832>

In fact covers exactly my problem and also points to how it is done for the
actual Apple folders (defined as unique types in the info.plist of
CoreTypes.bundle) - although there is no solution for doing it for ordinary
folders.

It would seem that a workaround would be to use a custom 16x16 icon together
with the normal larger icons - so that finder picks up the smaller icon to
use in the sidebar but uses the others in normal finder view (assuming you
haven't set the icon display size down to 16x16)

I haven't tried this yet, but I may have a play later.

With regard to the problem you note:

> Since SL, some, but not all, of these custom icons in the sidebar persist in
> reverting to the generic folder icon.

This may well depend on the actual set of icons associated with the folder -
I would assume that if there is a set of icons and you have replaced the
larger icon(s) but not the small 16x16 then the replacement would show in
finder but the old default would show in sidebar.

Alternatively, if you have replaced all sizes you would see the custom icon
in the sidebar - also if there is no smaller icon, then I believe Finder
will automatically scale down the larger icon - so again you would see the
custom icon in sidebar.

I don't know how that relates to your various folders with custom icons - it
may be that you used a slightly different method with some than others - or
that the originals had different icon sets to start with?

(Just a few thoughts)

Cheers

Neil
--