Hi Alex

I'm on 3G with Telstra.
My ISP and e-mail account are with TPG.

Initially had no joy sending e-mail via the iPhone when on 3G.

I used my e-mail account set-up in Mail to test the settings I needed based on
what TPG said I would need, including alternate Ports.

Found that my user name required the full e-mail (....@tpg.com.au) to work with
SSL turned on.
When I got it working I then transferred the details to the iPhone and it
worked.

Using authentication also allowed my wife to send e-mail from her MacBook when
connected to the internet at her work. Without the SSL/Authentication she could
not send e-mail when connected to the internet at her work.

The connection I make is that when connected at home via ADSL TPG knows that
authentication is not required because of the physical link / direct connection
to my ISP. When attempting to e-mail from another location on the internet
(indirect connection to my ISP by IP address or 3G) the access is blocked by
TPG in an attempt to stop unauthorised use of my e-mail account. So for me it
was not a Telstra/3G issue in any way, shape or form. My ISP provided enough
information by using my log-in details and information in their help pages to
sort this out (server/host name, alternate port numbers).

Also have:
 - the TPG outgoing server set as the primary SMTP server
 - SSL turned on for incoming messages (Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars
-> Accounts <my account name> -> Advanced -> Incoming Settings <Use SSL is
'On'>)

Thank you

Paul van der Mey
p...@interactive-knowledge.biz