I'm about to watch time fly and throw TC out the nearest window.

I got over all of my previously whinged about error messages by one of two
solutions, I don't know which one ultimately provided the fix, but erased data
entirely, and disconnected all users (Airport Utility > Manual Setup > Disks >
Disconnect All Users). The backed up everything from scratch, the major
downside being loss of all historical backups.

The backups from scratch seemed to work. However now,  not every time but
intermittently, I get ...

"Time Machine could not complete the backup.

This backup is too large for the backup disk. The backup requires 169.72GB but
only 122.2MB are available.

Time machine needs work space ... blah blah blah"

TM waits for me to click OK. Then, if I 'Backup now' TM proceeds with a backup
in the usual manner, and keeps going until next time I get the 'backup too
large' message.

According to the TM Preferences window, there is about 500GB of available
space, which is about right after taking into account the two Macs I've backed
up.

I've been putting up with the inaccurate 'backup too large' message, however
just now I had a need to go into TM and recover a previous version of a file
I've stuffed up. Disappointingly, I find that TM hasn't been retaining old
backup data. I have 'Now' backup, and that's it. No historical backups to wade
through. I assume this has something to do with the 'backup too large' problem.

The problem I'm having is with my MBP. I've checked TM on the other machine, an
iMac, backing up to this TC. No problem. Retention of historical backups appear
to be taking place for the iMac. All machines running latest OSX.

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Steven