Hi Peta,

Good to be very careful about this sort of phone call. Apparently it is
genuine. I have never received one and had not heard of it.
Be cautious of the cost though!

http://www.telstra.com.au/telstramentor/index.html

What is Telstra Mentor?
A Telstra Mentor expert can help take away the frustration of getting your new
mobile up and running. You'll also be shown handy shortcuts and how to master
mobile features like email and internet, giving you the mobile tools to save
time and be more productive.
How can Telstra Mentor benefit me?
We’ll contact you and book a time to show you how you can:
        • sync your PC calendar and contacts with your mobile
        • set up and use mobile email
        • access mobile internet
        • use your handset as a mobile modem
        • access Next G™ content like Whereis® mobile, Yellow™ mobile, FOXTEL
from Telstra and much more.
Who can use Telstra Mentor?
This program is available to eligible Telstra customers who take out a plan and
eligible handset with a monthly access fee of $79 or above. It is provided by
our partners Mobile Mentor and is available throughout Australia. You could be
eligible for a face to face or over the phone mentor session depending on your
location.