From: "Marlene Oostryck" <oostr...@optusnet.com.au>
Sent: Monday, 14 March, 2011 8:12:39 PM GMT +08:00 Beijing / Chongqing / Hong
Kong / Urumqi
Subject: Travels with my iPad

Hello All

I have just returned from a month's cruising and 5 days in China - with mixed
results using my brand new iPad. (5 countries,11 ports so no sim card).

Downloading photos/videos from 2 new cameras ( a Canon Powershot G12 and a
Nikon D7000) at the end of each day was great and enabled adjustments to be
made to camera settings the next day.
Whiling away long hours at airports was a breeze with games and books loaded
before I left.

Emails were not so successful.
All during the voyage the ship "Diamond Princess" had great problems with
internet connections and it was quite common for 1 email to take up to 100
minutes to send - and then sometimes fail.
At $3.95 to log on and then 75 cents per minute - I decided not to help the US
economy!
Another problem - I unsubscribed from WAMUG the day before I left to cut back
on the number of emails received - but did not find out for 3 weeks that there
was a verification email after I left - so huge numbers of emails continued to
arrive. When in port I was never able to access internet cafes until my last
few days and a visit to the Apple Store in Beijing - along with half the youth
population there.
Another complication. On advice from my One-to-One trainer at the Apple Store
here in Perth I had changed my email accounts on my iMac (thanks Daniel K) and
my iPad from a POP to IMAP account. Optus did not like this so blocked a lot of
my emails when they reached a certain number. The email I tried to send from
the Beijing Store on 4 Mar came with the message, "Service not available" but
was delivered on the 12 March!
Optus treated my attempts at SMS the same way - on a pre-paid mobile - some
were successful, most failed.

I'm off on another cruise in Europe in May/June so hope I can resolve these
communication issues.

Regards

Marlene Oostryck