Yeah the video is almost always already in mp4 format, it's just
wrapped in an F4V container (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Video#Format_details ). It's to do
with the way the server streams the video. The ABC use the Adobe rtmpe
protocol, which needs a flash format to stream.

So all you need to do is to "un-wrap" the MP4 video from the F4V
container. Basically, it's the about the same as what you do when you
unzip files from a .zip container.

2000 seems like a bit of overkill, but if it works for you then just
leave it at that. (remember that it's seconds, not milliseconds, so
2000 equates to 33 minutes)

Dunno why 1.2.9 doesn't work for you without more info. If 1.2.7 works
for you and you're happy with it, then stick with that version.

Cheers,
Yansky.