On 13/5/11 6:35 AM, "Rod Blitvich" <rb...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/12/owc-replacing-main-hard-drive-with-third-party-
> is-not-an-option/
> OWC: Replacing main hard drive with third party is not an option in new iMacs
> by Megan Lavey-Heaton (RSS feed) on May 12th, 2011
>
> The folks over at Other World Computing, best known for providing affordable
> upgrades for your Mac, delivered some bad news regarding installing a third
> party hard drive in the new Sandy Bridge iMacs.
> Apparently Apple altered the SATA power connector in such a way that removing
> the hard drive from the system -- or even the bay it resides -- will cause the
> hard drive fan to spin at maximum speed. Even further, placing any third party
> drive in the machine results in the iMac failing the Apple Hardware Test, even
> if that drive was replaced with the same model that the iMac is shipped with.
> Apple seems to be specifically disallowing hard drives they don't approve of,
> locking new iMac owners into AppleCare in case something happens to the hard
> drive within the first three years or using an Apple-authorized repair center.
> We've touted the virtues of AppleCare many times. However, a good many tend
> keep their iMacs much longer than three years, and a hard drive is guaranteed
> to eventually fail. But since upgrading the current iMacs involve removing the
> screen, even thoughiFixIt says it is fairly easy to access the internal drive,
> I wouldn't want to go near that anyhow, and neither would your average custom
>

> Rod Blitvich  - Amy & SamĀ¹s Dad

Yes, been following that once since saw it the other day.
I'm not sure why they would do that. It does really close it off from other
brands and options. Not necessarily at the time of purchase (though some are
saying that's true too as Apple don't do options for larger SSD drives eg
480GB, 512GB SSD), but also later down the track.
What if you buy a 1TB drive then a year down the track the drive dies (or
you want to upgrade) for a larger drive. You're then stuck with buying what
Apple offer you (Which sometimes is dearer then other brands or places). eg,
even at the moment Apple don't offer a 3TB drive, yet you can buy this as
Western Digital (and others make them).

This has certainly gained a lot of momentum on some of the forums I've been
reading. With lots of people hoping someone will bring out a hack or
something for it.
I just don't quite follow the reasoning for it. You've previously been able
to change or upgrade the Hard Drive in iMac's with whatever drive you
wanted, it didn't have to come from Apple. So why change it now.

This seems to be happening more and more of late with certain things that
Apple are doing.
Look at iPad 2's for example. Why do the Apple Stores get a lot of iPad's
(eg Apple Perth in Hay Street) yet the Apple resellers get minimum (or no)
stock.
(I was going to go on a bit more detail,..but think I'll just leave it at
that without starting a flame war,...getting into trouble,..or,..well
whatever may start from it,...lol).
I just don't get it. Maybe I'm missing something, or not seeing "some big
picture" or live in my own little world too much,..lol.

Just my 2cents worth. I'm sure others may agree or disagree with me,... :o))

Kind regards
Daniel
---
Daniel Kerr