Hi Bill,

To restore corrupted mailboxes:

1. Quit Thunderbird.

2. In your profile folder, open the Mail subfolder, and then the subfolder for
that mail account.
Delete the *.msf file for the folder (mailbox) that is giving you problems--
e.g., if your inbox is the one with problems, delete inbox.msf.
Do NOT delete the file named Inbox (with no filename extension), as it contains
your messages.

3. Restart Thunderbird. It will analyse your message file and rebuild the index
file (table of contents) from your existing messages.

To help keep your system healthy after you get it working again, compact your
mail folders regularly, and move messages you want to keep out of your inbox
into their own mail folder.

Where is my Profile Folder?
On Mac OS X, the path is usually
~/Library/Thunderbird/Profiles/xxxxxxxx.default/
(~ represents your Home Directory)

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)