Hi Ronni

Just a final wrap up on this issue.   The "Apple ecosystem"  now overlaps the
Microsoft domain.   I created a non-internet local wireless network with an
Airport Express unit to include an Apple TV.  My iPad2 can see this WiFi
network OK.    I then installed the latest iTunes on an Acer laptop with
Windows XP.   Only problem was that the ATV had to be connected to the internet
initially (via another network) to update the software and to authorise Home
Sharing with an Apple ID.

Now all devices (Acer laptop and iPad) can use AirPlay to stream music and
video to the Apple TV.  As a bonus, the ATV can play my Acer iTune library
collection.

Thanks to Craig who sold me the gear and insisted it was technically possible
to set up the network as I wanted.

Cheers
Alan