Just to add to this, is there any use for the discarded 1GB memory stick or
does it go to recycled ewaste?

Also, by the time I had installed Snow Leopard, updated software etc. icons,
dock and fonts on desktop were smaller.  I have sorted icons and the dock
but email text, menu bar etc are all still smaller and I can't find how to
make them bigger.

Regards, Jennifer