Hi Steven,

>> In case it's relevant, the wireless network I have is issued by an
>> Optus-provided-and-configured CVG824G v3. I wonder if it's not that this
>> device, or the Optus configuration, which gives me all the grief.

Just reading this part of your email I would say it is very relevant. If your
Time Capsule is one of the newer models that have Dual-Band, why haven’t you
setup the Time Capsule as a Simultaneous Dual-Band 802.11n Wireless Network ...
Turn wireless OFF on CVG824G v3 (which I think is a Netgear)?

Time Capsule operates simultaneously on both bands ( 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz ), and
your multi-band devices automatically use the best available band.
This means all your Wi-Fi devices get the fastest possible wireless performance
and the best possible range.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.2 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)