Hi Steven,

No unfortunately your 1st Generation Time Capsule is not capable of creating a
Dual-Band Wireless Network.
I have a 3rd Generation TC setup as a  Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless Network,
that has computers, iPhones, iPads, wirelessly connecting to it.

So back to the drawing board. Your Wireless Network is not functioning
correctly if you have to connect your MBP via Ethernet to TC for TM backups to
work, and the kids MacBooks can’t ‘see’ the Network.

Would need to know all the setup & configuration of your CVG824G v3 Wireless
Network to be able to give any advise to sort the problems you are
experiencing. Given that the Modem has been customised for Optus, you might not
be able to change the configuration?
It should be distributing IP addresses to all your wireless clients (that is if
Optus are allowing you to have more than 1-2 clients connecting), & if it is
Dual-Band to be able to handle the 2.4GHz phones & 5GHz computers.

Also, are you on  Cable or ADSL?

I have to see a client now, but will be in and out during the day.