Hi Neil,

In regards to the large size of the modified PDF file here is something you can
try. The procedure is different depending on whether you are running OS X 10.7
Lion or an earlier version of the OS.

In Lion:
1) Display the PDF in Preview
2) At the top of the window, just to the right of the document title there is a
drop down menu that may display to the word "Locked" or it may be blank. In
either case hover the cursor over this area and a down arrow will appear .
Click and select "Duplicate" from this drop down menu.
3) For the new window that is created with an animation, select from the main
system menu File > Save...
4) Here's the crucial step -- in the drop down dialog used to save the file,
set the Quartz Filter to Reduce File Size.

The pre-Lion process is a bit easier:
1) Display the PDF in Preview
2) From the main system menu select File > Save As...
3) In the drop down dialog used to save the file, set the Quartz Filter to
Reduce File Size.

A quick note, I did not try this on a pre-Lion version of the OS so I am half
guessing, and half filling in blanks from memory for that section.

Let me know if it works.

Cheers,
Carlo