For what it's worth Neil, I have reproduced on OS X 10.7 exactly the behaviour
that you are seeing. Namely the downloaded PDF has the customized thumbnail
numbering scheme before editing (also a blurred page 96). As a test I swapped
the order of pages 6 and 7 and as a result the customized thumbnail numbering
disappeared and the PDF file size jumped from 4 MB to 610 MB.

This I would suspect is a bug in Preview. PDF's internally have a large number
of alternative layout schemes -- it's a bit of a hodge-podge. I suspect that
the original PDF used a layout scheme that caused Preview to, to use the
technical term, freak out. When it saved its in-memory representation to disk,
it made a file far larger than it needed to be.

If this assumption is correct your only recourse for now is to use a different
application to rearrange your PDF. Given the unusual nature of the bug, and how
hard it is to trigger it I would guess you may not see a fix for Preview any
time soon.

Cheers,
Carlo