Thanks Neil and Ronni for your comments

Ronni said (in email prior to this one from Neil)    "Just to make sure you are
clear what the iTunes Library files you are thinking of restoring are."    Key
point!  I am NOT sure of where the problem lies or what the iTunes files do.
Thus I will take Ronni's final recommendation to restore the whole iTunes
folder from Time Machine.   (I might experiment with some individual files
first.)  I will do some further research to improve my understanding of the
processes.  Thanks also to Ronni for her explanation of the three files I
mentioned, and why the XML file is not backed up.

Neil, I apologise for not making a clear explanation of the problem.  I will
spell it out here and hope it is helpful and explain why your suggestions don't
seem to be relevant in my case.

I have purchased music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, books and iTunesU items
from Apple.  These all appear in their respective "libraries" accessed in the
left column of iTunes.    Each library can be viewed with four options: song
list, album list, grid , and cover flow.   All my purchased items live in their
default Media files on the internal drive of the iMac.   Because they are
"physical" files, they can be seen with Finder in their respective folders
under 'Music' etc.

I also have a collection of movies sourced from camcorder, DVDs, eyeTV, etc.
These are all stored on an external hard drive.   To view them on Apple TV, I
copy the LINK (not the gigabyte files) to iTunes.   This is a standard
documented facility.  All these linked files display in the iTunes app - I
generally use the "song list" option to see what is there as the sort columns
are useful.   Because they are not physical files within the iTunes folder
hierarchy, they obviously cannot be viewed by Finder in the Media folder area.

I have added some of my personal movies to the iTunesU and Podcast libraries to
keep the subject matter together.  This is convenient when navigating Apple TV
so that all "astronomy" videos, for example, are in the same menu with the
purchased Apple iTunesU lessons.   The standard "album" tag in iTunes songs (or
movies) denotes the parent folder for the iTunesU "Collection" - that is, the
individual course or subject.   I do all my tag editing within iTunes using
standard Apple methods.  Possibly a third party tagging app could amend tags
directly at source which would avoid the subsequent pain I've endured.

iTunes will not permit a file to be option-copied as a duplicate.  No messages,
just no action.   This can be handy as a pointer that the file must exist in
iTunes somewhere.

I linked (option copied) 3 movies from the external drive to iTunes.  Default
copy location is the Movie library.  I normally edit the tags within iTunes as
appropriate, but this time I left the "album" field blank.   So somewhere in
iTunes is a blank folder with 3 virtual movie files, all tagged as iTunesU
items.  There is no selectable "blank" collection when scanning the  iTunes
lists, and hence the movie files cannot be selected and tags edited.     The
files are there somewhere because they display on the Apple TV menu as a
separate group without a collection title.

Being efficient, iTunes had written the (blank) tags back to the files on the
external hard drive.  During testing I physically copied one of the movies to
iTunes.  This file was not visible in the iTunes app, but now being a "real"
file inside iTunes media, it could be located by Finder in the Media folder.
Because it had a blank tag, Apple created a default collection folder called
"Unknown iTunesU" with the movie in it.   Finder could see it and I later
deleted this one copy.

The 3 movies were deleted from the external drive using Finder.  I can replace
them later from backups and do the tags more carefully next time.   Today I did
a complete power shut down of iMac and Apple TV, unplugging all cords and
disconnecting all peripherals, but this didn't remove the invisible folder and
links.   To have a clean database and app I need to delete the blank folder and
3 phantom movies in Tunes - probably by replacing the complete iTunes folder
from Time Machine.

Immediate restoration from Time Machine is not critical technically, but I
shouldn't make any additions to iTunes until the issue is resolved.

Thanks again to Ronni and Neil

Cheers
Alan