I'm running 10.7.3 on a 17" MBP which is probably getting a bit aged these
days, 2.4 GHz Intel Core Due, 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

At startup, I have around 50GB of spare hard disk capacity, of a total 250GB
disk.

Over the past month o so, what happens is that over around a 2 to 4 day period,
the machine gets slower and slower, to the point that it's unbearably slow, so
a restart becomes necessary.

In line with the progression of slowness, seems to be disappearance of hard
disk capacity. By the time I have to restart, a quick check of hard disk
capacity, and it's down to around 1 or 2GB.

Trash is emptied regularly (I almost always use Secure Empty Trash).

Any clues as to what might be causing this?

I've just noticed 10.7.4 is out, so I'll update to that to see if that makes a
difference, but any hints in the meantime would be appreciated.

Cheers, Steven