On 13/05/2012, at 11:34 AM, Steven Knowles wrote:

> Ray, excellent overview and good job at layman-ising the terminology used.
> Thank you.
>
> Ronni, thanks for the extra detail ... I was beginning to doubt my grasp of
> English.
>
> Robin, thanks for the note that recent Safari updates actually address these
> issues. I'd seen and installed the latest OS update (ie. 10.7.4), which MIGHT
> have been the things which solved my problem, but on running Software Update
> saw that there was also a Safari update. Installed that 12 May (version
> 5.1.7) and at this point, my hard disk capacity remains at the capacity it
> was when I last restarted, whereas by now it probably would have dwindled.
> Fingers crossed that whatever memory leakage problem had crept in has been
> knocked on the head. I do use Safari mostly, occasionally Firefox for
> websites which Safari has trouble with, and often have many tabs (10, 20, 30)
> open at any one time before I get chance and close a few back down.

One of the best software investments I have ever made is iStat Menus from
Bjango Software. It puts a wealth of system performance information directly
into the Menu Bar at the top of the screen (the main caveat here is that you
really need a large screen to get the best out of it - not so good on a 15"
laptop, but it's brilliant on a 27" iMac!). You can see at a glance just how
much memory is in use, what is occupying your CPU, basic network traffic stats,
and even the current working temperature of your system, as well as a lot more.
It's highly configurable, but the best thing is that any system slowdowns can
generally be instantly diagnosed by a quick glance at the top of your screen!

FileMaker Pro Solutions Developer
Perth, Western Australia
Phone (618) 9332 6482    Mob 0403 046 948