Hi Steven,

You 'might' have some sort of memory leak; but Insufficient RAM and Free Hard
Space do cause the problems you are experiencing.

I'll try to type a fairly short response to your queries. I did post a long
time back to WAMUG explaining 'Real Memory' & 'Virtual Memory' in OS X.

I always max out the RAM in my MBPs, 8GB RAM runs Lion fast, plus I also like
to keep my Hard Drive with 30% free.
Lion handles memory very well, but it does need free space to swap the contents
of real memory to and from the drive.

When your Mac gets low on real memory, virtual memory comes to the rescue.

* Virtual memory means the system swaps the contents of real memory to and from
the drive; this involves both writing (paging out), and reading (paging in).

Virtual memory is far slower than real memory, so a fast system drive is the
dominant factor for virtual memory performance.

> I see that "Page outs" is defined as "number of virtual memory page
> ins/outs", but the figure provided is, right now, 1.9MB. Isn't 1.9MB a volume
> figure, as opposed to a "number of times" figure? I don't get it what 1.9MB
> actually means in terms of "number of times".

'Page ins' or 'page outs' are how many times a page of memory is swapped out
from disk to memory and vice versa.
If the total 'page outs' is low compared to the number of 'page ins' after
having used your Mac for hours of work, you may have sufficient RAM ---
Otherwise, you should install more RAM.

A few megabytes or tens of megabytes of 'page outs' are acceptable, but more
than a few hundred megabytes means you’re losing performance in a major way—
add more memory if possible.

In my 'simple words' : This number indicates how many times your Mac has run
out of available memory and used your hard drive as virtual RAM. This number
should be as low as possible.
I like the number to be less than 2000 during a full day's use of my Mac.
Others suggest a higher value as the threshold for adding RAM, in the
neighborhood of 2500 to 3000.

*Always install more memory if possible, nothing else is faster than real
memory.

17" MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-Core i7 “Thunderbolt"
2.3GHz / 8GB / 750GB @ 7200rpm HD

OS X 10.7.3 Lion
Windows 7 Ultimate (under sufferance)