Ray, excellent overview and good job at layman-ising the terminology used.
Thank you.

Ronni, thanks for the extra detail ... I was beginning to doubt my grasp of
English.

Robin, thanks for the note that recent Safari updates actually address these
issues. I'd seen and installed the latest OS update (ie. 10.7.4), which MIGHT
have been the things which solved my problem, but on running Software Update
saw that there was also a Safari update. Installed that 12 May (version 5.1.7)
and at this point, my hard disk capacity remains at the capacity it was when I
last restarted, whereas by now it probably would have dwindled. Fingers crossed
that whatever memory leakage problem had crept in has been knocked on the head.
I do use Safari mostly, occasionally Firefox for websites which Safari has
trouble with, and often have many tabs (10, 20, 30) open at any one time before
I get chance and close a few back down.

Cheers, Steven